The Carter Center is guided by a fundamental commitment to human rights and the alleviation of human suffering; it seeks to prevent and resolve conflicts, enhance freedom and democracy, and improve health.
The Carter Center’s Democracy Program plans to conduct in-person election technology assessments in 2022 in several different countries, each lasting approximately 1-3 months. For these and related efforts, the Center is seeking to identify interested election experts. Candidates should have an in-depth understanding of elections, election observation methodologies and practices, and voting and counting and other election technologies. Ideal candidates will have 5-7 years of experience in democracy and election programming, and experience analyzing election technologies. Candidates should possess a degree in political science, law, or another relevant field. Candidates with a degree or strong background in computer science or engineering are welcome.
- Coordinate with the Democracy Program’s country teams where assessments will be conducted;
- Using the methodology and checklists from The Carter Center’s Handbook on Electronic Voting, conduct an assessment of the electronic voting and tabulation process;
- On an ongoing basis and with oversight from the Democracy Program, incorporate any findings and feedback on the handbook;
- Coordinate with Democracy Program staff and other experts to publish reports summarizing the findings from the assessments;
- Work with Democracy Program staff to integrate findings from assessment missions into election observation mission press releases, statements, and reports;
- Provide written and verbal updates on assessment activities;
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Significant substantive experience working internationally in democracy and governance, elections, human rights, or related fields.
- Robust background in and knowledge of elections and election observation methodologies.
- Experience in analysis of voting and counting technologies.
- Experience with project management and field deployment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Leadership skills, cross-cultural understanding, and a background working in sensitive political situations are required.
If interested in applying, please fill out the form at the following link and upload your CV and cover letter: https://airtable.com/shrCwUOVWUyLXWQLb.
Deadline for submissions: March 31, 2022, or until filled. Interested applicants are encouraged to submit their application documents as soon as possible; decisions will be made on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Due to the large volume of applicants, only those candidates selected for an interview or additional consideration will be notified by the Center. No phone calls or in-person contacts will be entertained.