The Carter Center is guided by a fundamental commitment to promote human rights, alleviate human suffering, enhance freedom and democracy, and improve health conditions. The Center seeks a highly qualified, motivated and energetic consultant with extensive experience working with Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) and legislative bodies to serve as an Electoral Reform Legislative Expert for the Center’s Citizen Observation program in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).
Start date: March 2020
Location: Kinshasa, DRC
Length of assignment: Two weeks
The Center’s overarching goal in DRC is to promote accountability, transparency and respect for human rights through strengthening the capacities of both civil society actors and government institutions. In 2007, the Center created the Human Rights House (HRH) in Kinshasa as a vehicle to build a vibrant citizenry to hold the government accountable. Following involvement in the 2011 Presidential and Legislative elections in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), the Center began partnering with local civil society organization, Justice and Peace Congo (JPC), to strengthen their capacity to advocate for more credible electoral processes based on international obligations for democratic elections. These activities led up to the JPCs successful citizen observer deployment of the December 2018 national elections in the DRC and the release of final recommendations based off their observations. In follow up to those efforts, the Center is continuing to work closely with JPC to promote electoral reform.
Working with The Carter Center in the DRC, the Legislative Expert will provide support to JPC in drafting the legislation required for electoral reform, in accordance with existing domestic electoral laws, international obligations and findings and recommendations from the JPC election observation mission. This will include assessing current capacity to draft amendments, provide trainings, and prepare draft language to promote the identified reforms.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements
The qualified candidate will have some or all of the following qualifications:
- At least 10 years of experience in legislative drafting acquired within Francophone jurisdictions, particularly in electoral reform matters.
- Experience in providing professional advice concerning legislative drafting on elections and human rights.
- Experience in the development and delivery of capacity building programs and mentoring in the field of legislative drafting.
- Strong communication, writing and IT skills.
- Ability to establish priorities, and to plan, co-ordinate and monitor own work.
- Good inter-personal skills, ability to work in a consultative and collaborative manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relationships in a sensitive political environment.
- Fluent in French – Knowledge of English will be an added benefit.
- We encourage Congolese Nationals with this expertise to apply.
- Undertake assessment of drafting capacity within JPC identified core team members and make recommendations for long term sustainable measures to address identified gaps.
- Develop and implement training and mentoring program for JPC/TCC drafters
- Support JPC in drafting amendments to existing laws in order to harmonize laws with international obligations and findings and recommendations from the JPC election observation mission.
- Provide draft language as needed.
- Provide suggestions and input on any additional related trainings or support needed for future programming.
As a Legislative Expert, the short-term contractor will be primarily accountable to the Kinshasa-based Citizen Observation Program Manager and Beth Plachta, Democracy Program Associate Director.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Costs associated with international travels as well as accommodation, transportation and communications in DRC are undertaken by The Carter Center.
Applications reviewed on a rolling basis, with a goal of filling the position in February 2020. To apply, please send a cover letter, CV, references, and salary requirements to email@example.com. When applying, please include “Legislative Expert” in the subject line. Only those candidates selected for an interview or additional consideration will be notified by the Center, no phone calls please.