The Carter Center is guided by a fundamental commitment to human rights and the alleviation of human suffering; it seeks to prevent and resolve conflicts, enhance freedom and democracy, and improve health.
Through this call for applications, we are seeking qualified candidates to serve as Security/Operations Manager on an election observation mission (EOM) for the 2023 Democratic Republic of Congo general elections. This consultancy position is scheduled from September 2023 to January 2024; applicants must confirm their availability for deployment for the entire duration of the project. The selected person will report to the DRC-based Country Representative/Mission Director and Atlanta-based Associate Director of the Carter Center’s Democracy Program.
The Security/Operations Manager should have seven years demonstrated security experience, preferably with experience in security on election observation missions. Candidates who speak French on a professional level and have demonstrated experience working in DRC and/or the region are encouraged to apply.
The successful candidate will conduct a security assessment, develop and implement security protocols, monitor and report on security-related issues, and provide operational support for the international observation mission and Carter Center personnel. The Security/Operations Manager will:
- Under the supervision of the County Representative and in coordination with EOM core team members, assist in the design and management of the Carter Center’s planned observation activities, with specific responsibilities to:
- Review possible observer deployment sites.
- Prepare and implement deployment plans for observers.
- Develop and implement a security reporting system for observers.
- Coordinate logistics and security to facilitate observer deployment.
- Ensure security requirements and policies are implemented by all team members.
- Assist in recruitment of local staff, including drivers and interpreters.
- In close consultation with field and HQ management, develop and draft a security manual for use in briefing all staff, core team, long term observers, and short term observers. Design field security protocols, including for potential evacuation. Lead security training on security protocols and information for all staff and observers.
- In coordination with the Observer Coordinator, manage logistics for deployment within DRC, including arrangements for and coordination of vehicles and drivers; oversight of logistics staff; airport pick-up/drop-off; observer transportation plans; training of drivers on security protocols; and accommodation for long-term observers and other team members.
- Conduct an assessment of the overall security situation in DRC, along with specifics about possible or previously determined deployment sites.
- In coordination with the Country Representative, establish and facilitate contacts with the police forces, military, relevant government ministries, embassies and international organizations on security, medical, and health matters. Liaise with interlocutors regarding the security environment. Represent the field office on operational and security matters.
- Gather and analyze security-related information and monitor the security environment and events.
- Contribute to daily, weekly, and monthly project reporting on security, logistics, and operations in DRC. Produce ad hoc security updates/analysis and recommendations on political and security events that may pose a threat to EOM team members or project partners.
- Manage observer security status on a daily basis through scheduled reporting and oversight of local staff. In coordination with the Observer Coordinator, track movements of staff and observers. Oversee and conduct check-in calls with observers, as appropriate.
- Train and supervise security-related field office staff. Provide security training to drivers, guards and other staff as required. Train staff in the use of all communication equipment and provide detailed instructions for all communications methods.
- Participate in meetings to disseminate information on security, deployment, and logistics.
- Locate and assist in making arrangements for evacuation with international and local government agencies as well as private companies. Negotiate and/or review security contracts with local providers for security guards as necessary and advise the Country Representative on the procurement of health and security related materials and services.
- If evacuation is required, lead the evacuation process in accordance with pre-established plans and arrangements, making decisions in coordination with the Country Representative and HQ.
- Perform other duties, as needed.
To be considered for this position, provide your application details and upload a CV/resume and cover letter in support of your application in the following website: https://airtable.com/shrhFtFJqqQIQ7SVz
Only applications received through this link will be considered.
As this is an international election observation mission, DRC nationals are not eligible for this role. Due to the large volume of applicants, only those candidates selected for an interview or additional consideration will be notified by the Center, no phone calls please.