The Carter Center is guided by a fundamental commitment to human rights and the alleviation of human suffering; it seeks to prevent and resolve conflicts, enhance freedom and democracy, and improve health.
The Carter Center is seeking a highly-qualified individual to serve as Field Office Director (FOD) of a potential international election observation mission (IEOM) for Sierra Leone’s 2023 general elections. The FOD will manage the Carter Center’s international election observation activities in Sierra Leone, including election-related reporting, field office administration, and the activities of the core team and long-term and short-term observers. This position is contingent on the availability of funds and electoral developments. Deployment to Sierra Leone is anticipated from March 2023 to September 2023.
Core team composition is contingent upon available funding and electoral developments. At this time The Carter Center is seeking applicants for the following potential core team positions:
- Field Office Director
- Deputy Field Office Director
- Political Analyst
- Electoral Analyst
- Legal Analyst
- Gender Analyst
- LTO Coordinator
- Social Media Monitoring Manager
- Security Manager
- Applicants should have experience implementing election monitoring missions, or democracy and governance programs, ideally in Sierra Leone or the region.
- Demonstrated experience and/or knowledge of the Carter Center’s observation methodology, including international and regional standards for democratic elections.
- Leadership skills and cross-cultural understanding are required for all positions.
- Strong knowledge of the political context and electoral environment in Sierra Leone.
- Strong English writing and communication skills, and competence with computer applications are required.
Please submit application materials with the core team position(s) you are most qualified for noted in the subject line. Application materials should include a cover letter ranking preferred position, current CV, and a list of references.
The Carter Center
Note: As this is an international election observation mission, Sierra Leone nationals are not eligible to serve as core team members. Due to the large volume of applicants, only those candidates selected for an interview or additional consideration will be notified by the Center, no phone calls please.