The Carter Center (TCC) is guided by a fundamental commitment to human rights and the alleviation of human suffering; it seeks to prevent and resolve conflict, enhance freedom and democracy, and improve health. To these ends, The Center seeks a highly qualified and motivated consultant to serve as a Program Manager and coordinate and manage a social media monitoring project in Bolivia.
Length of assignment: August 1 – December 31, 2020
Location: La Paz / remote. Assumptions regarding deployment may change contingent on Bolivia’s electoral calendar and developments related to COVID-19.
Subject to confirmation of funding, The Carter Center is seeking a highly qualified individual to serve as Program Manager to provide overall management and oversight of its project to identify and mitigate digital threats on social media. Under supervision of the Atlanta based staff, the Program Manager will supervise personnel and manage financial, administrative, and logistical operations of the project, while simultaneously work with headquarters, consultants, and external partners to achieve project goals. The successful candidate will provide day-to-day management of digital threats monitoring activities conducted in partnership with a civil society organization and will provide analysis to the Carter Center Remote Electoral Expert Mission on Bolivia on the impact of social media in the electoral process.
- Representation: As directed by Carter Center Staff, maintains productive, strategic relationships with project partners and other key actors in Bolivia, including government officials, international organizations, donors, civil society leaders, and other critical institutions and groups. At request of Carter Center Staff, liaises with key actors and provide updates to partners as directed.
- Operations Management: Oversees the logistical and administrative processes. Ensures that the project operates in compliance with Bolivian laws and regulations. With support from Carter Center staff, provides training and technical assistance to monitors to facilitate implementation of project activities, including guidance and support on monitoring activities and analysis of findings.
- Program Design and Implementation: Under supervision of Atlanta based staff, facilitates day-to-day oversight and implementation of digital threats monitoring activities in accordance with project workplan and timeline. With support from Senior Advisor, identifies activity on social for purposes of monitoring for possible disinformation or hate speech..
- Sub-Grant Management: If project activities are conducted by local partner organization: assists in administrative support and oversight of sub-award agreement(s) to ensure compliance with narrative and financial reporting requirements.
- Financial Management: Manage expenditures and forecasts. Assist the program accountant with financial reporting. Review and provide input on budget, as requested.
- Communication and Reporting: Ensures effective and timely coordination and communication with The Carter Center headquarters, as well as with local civil society partners. Provides input to or drafts sections of donor and other reports as requested by management. Submits bi-weekly reports to Atlanta and participate in regular calls with headquarters.
- Strategic Program Leadership: In coordination with the Atlanta staff, identifies areas for new programming initiatives related to social media monitoring. Provide analysis and advice to the Carter Center on important programmatic, operational, and substantive issues. Collaborates with similar Carter Center projects in other countries to share and exchange technical experience, knowledge, and skills
- Significant substantive experience in projects related to the impact of information technologies and/or social media in the arena of democracy and elections
- Significant substantive experience working internationally with civil society organizations on democracy, human rights, election observation and/or information technology issues, including training experience
- Experience with text mining, natural language processing, and machine learning techniques is highly desired
- Proficiencies in Python, R and SQL are highly desired
- Familiarity with APIs and API documentation is an asset
- Previous participation in international election observation missions (through an organization which is a signatory of the Declaration of Principles for International Election Observation or the Declaration of Global Principles for Nonpartisan Election Observation) and a strong knowledge of election observation methodologies are required.
- Fluency in Spanish and English, both written and spoken, is required. Knowledge of other languages spoken in Bolivia is an asset
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or corresponding years of relevant professional experience
- Excellent organizational, oral and written communication skills
- Professional experience in Bolivia or the region is desirable, or at a minimum, comparable countries.
- Leadership skills, cross-cultural understanding, and a background working in sensitive political situations are required.
Please send a CV/Resume, together with a cover letter explaining how your profile and experience match the job requirements, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, Program Manager.